1 1/2 cup(s) flour
1 1/4 teaspoon(s) baking powder
1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
1/2 cup(s) (1 stick unsalted) butter, softened
3/4 cup(s) sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon(s) (pure) vanilla extract
1 can(s) (16-oz.) vanilla frosting
3/4 cup(s) sugar food coloring, in assorted colors, assorted candies, gel icing, such as Cake Mate Decorating Gel and sugar crystals, for decorating
1. On sheet of waxed paper, stir together flour, baking powder and salt. In large bowl, with mixer at low speed, beat butter and sugar until blended. Increase speed to high; beat until light and creamy, about 5 minutes.
2. Reduce speed to low; beat in egg and vanilla until mixed. Beat in flour mixture, scraping bowl occasionally with rubber spatula, just until mixed. Shape dough into 2 balls; flatten each slightly. Wrap in waxed paper and refrigerate at least 4 hours, or overnight, until firm enough to roll.
3. Preheat oven to 350ºF. On lightly floured surface, with floured rolling pin, roll 1 piece of dough a scant 1/4 inch thick. With floured Easter cookie cutters, cut dough into as many cookies as possible; reserve trimmings. Place cookies about 1 inch apart on large, ungreased cookie sheet.
4. Bake 12 to 15 minutes, until golden around edges. Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool; repeat with remaining dough. Let cookies cool completely before decorating.
5. To decorate, divide frosting into 4 small bowls. Leave one white, and use food coloring to dye the other bowls into different colors, such as yellow, pink and blue.